format change

  1. #1
    Terry
    Guest

    format change

    I set up my cell format as "text" format before I type name of sample ID
    (9920-2, 9920-8, 9920-15, ...).
    However, for 9920-2 and 9920-8, when I push "Enter" Xxcel changes my format
    from text to date and become Feb-02 and Aug-02. 9920-15 and those after
    remain the way I have set up.

    Can anyone tell me how to make Excel stop changing my format and just use
    text format I have set up.

  2. #2
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    RE: format change

    Try this:

    Right click inside the chart
    select > Chart Options
    > Axes

    see that the "Time-scale" is not on
    choose "Automatic" or "Category"

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: format change

    I couldn't reproduce your problem. When I entered any of the three items
    you showed, the cells continued to treat the values as text, not as
    dates. This occurred whether the number format was changed to Text or
    left as General.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP