Polar chart... how

  1. #1
    Ralph2
    Guest

    Polar chart... how

    Hello

    How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object
    yet virtually impossible in MS Excel..

    any ideas...examples ... help
    Thank you
    Ralph

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    Andy Pope has an add in here.

    http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ralph2
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:12:20 -0500, "Barb Reinhardt"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Andy Pope has an add in here.
    >
    >http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm
    >
    >"Ralph2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object
    >> yet virtually impossible in MS Excel..
    >>
    >> any ideas...examples ... help
    >> Thank you
    >> Ralph

    Thank you.. have that one.. My concern is that "if" I use an add-in
    then I will have to add that to all the computers that may end up
    using this.. Would prefer to stay with a native Excel

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    Hi Ralph,

    The addin only makes it easier by generating the x and y values and
    creating the chart with appropriate series. The addin is not locked so
    you can see how I have done things and maybe transfer the code into cell
    formula.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Thank you.. have that one.. My concern is that "if" I use an add-in
    > then I will have to add that to all the computers that may end up
    > using this.. Would prefer to stay with a native Excel

    Valid concerns except that as Andy himself pointed out the add-in is
    needed only to create the chart(s).

    To do it yourself, since XL doesn't natively support polar plots (or
    other parametric plots), consider the tranformation between (x,y) and
    (r,theta)

    x=r*cos(theta) and y=r*sin(theta) where theta is measured in radians.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  6. #6
    Ralph2

  7. #7
    Andy Pope

  8. #8
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  9. #9
    Ralph2
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    Thanks Andy
    I was going to try that.. will contact you on your home page if I end
    up using your bits of your code. Interested in a project to add to
    your selection... ....Limited clientele but As I found out in the
    Eng-Tips forum several people have tried and given up.

    Ralph

  10. #10
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    I'm late to the dance, but Stephen Bullen has an annotated example on
    his web site:

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCou...e=FunChrt6.zip
    "This chart shows how to create polar plots in Excel. It uses one set
    of defined names to dynamically refer to the data points entered (so new
    points are automatically included in the chart) and a second set to
    perform the conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates, which are
    then plotted using a standard XY chart."

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  11. #11
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > your selection... ....Limited clientele but As I found out in the
    > Eng-Tips forum several people have tried and given up.

    That is strange. Polar charts are not rocket science. I have an add-in
    similar to Andy's and a tutorial on parametric charts, neither of which
    I have got around to putting on my web site. But, bottom line, mapping
    (x,y) or (x,y,z) to (r,theta) or (r,theta,phi) uses basic rules of trig
    established a long time ago.

  12. #12
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    You may also want to look at Stephen Bullen's web site. See
    FunChrt6.zip at http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting

  13. #13
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    See also http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polar.htm
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  14. #14
    Ralph2
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    Thanks for all the links to samples... Very much appreciated. Now if
    I can clear the cobwebs and recall some of that geometry I learned 40
    years ago..
    Ralph

  15. #15
    Taryn
    Guest

    RE: Polar chart... how

    I placed a posting a while ago about this same subject. One of you had given
    me a *.exec that I could run to place labels on my axes. My computer crashed
    and I no longer have that macro. Does this ring a bell?

  16. #16
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Polar chart... how

    Hi,

    Used google to locate your original post.
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b301ca570a7f29

    Cheers
    Andy