Crazy Combination Chart

  1. #1
    SS
    Guest

    Crazy Combination Chart

    I need a chart that has the following characteristics:

    Vertical bars indicating % completion.
    Trendling line indicating 3 period moving average
    Horizontal line indicating a 95% target
    Area above the horizontal target line shaded blue, area below shaded red.

    I am use the Line-Column combo chart to get the veritcal bars and the moving
    average. I know the moving average can also be done using a trendline (but
    this will not show a trend line for the first few data points and yes I know
    it is not a 3 period average for the first two data points, but try
    explaining that to the people above me).

    I can also do the 95% target and the shaded areas using draw tools, however,
    this makes the chart rather difficult to modify.

    This chart must ultimately me maintained by an individual with minimum excel
    experience so I need to make it as easy to maintain as possible.

    Can anyone offer any ideas on how I can get all of this in one chart and
    make it simple to maintain?

    Thanks!

    SS

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Crazy Combination Chart

    Use an area chart, perhaps on secondary axes, for the background, at least the red,
    and make the plot area blue. Alternatively, use the Quadrant Background example, but
    with only one column wide, not two:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ackground.html

    Using this you need the quadrant stacked bars on primary axis and the % Completion
    bars on the secondary. Also, go to Chart menu > Chart Options > Axes tab, and
    uncheck the secondary Value (Y) axis but check the secondary Category (X) axis. You
    probably don't need a line at the same level, but if so:

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services