Can I display multiple time lines on a chart?

  1. #1
    Granny needs help
    Guest

    Can I display multiple time lines on a chart?

    I am doing a chart that displays scheduled project timelines and costs. I
    would like to add a second series shows the actual dates when items were
    delivered and paid for while still showing the original scheduled dates. Is
    that possible?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Can I display multiple time lines on a chart?

    Yes, this is possible, but it's going to take a little more work. I'm
    assuming you're using a stacked bar Gantt chart approach similar to the
    one here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

    For each row in the original data source, you will now need three: one
    for the budget, one for the actual, and a blank to provide spacing
    between budget-actual pairs.

    You can use the same Start column for both Schedule (Baseline/Budget,
    whatever) and Actual. Use one column for elapsed Schedule and another
    for elapsed Actual.

    Create your stacked bar chart, with an invisible bar for "Start" (both
    actual and visible bars for "Schedule" and "Actual". Using separate
    series for these two makes it easier to format different colors for
    actual and planned. Double click on one of the bars, and on the Options
    tab, change Gap Width to 0.

    You could get fancy and have two Actual columns, one for finishing on
    time and one for finishing late. Formulas make sure only one of the two
    had a non-zero value. This way, you could color code for on time or
    late. (In some companies I've known, two columns would be redundant, as
    nothing was ever on time!)

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP