Date X axis Affect Bar Width in a Bar Chart

  1. #1
    Toby
    Guest

    Date X axis Affect Bar Width in a Bar Chart

    I am trying to set up a bar chart, consisting of 4 series with datas along
    the x axis and hours on the y axis. When I select the date data in the
    Category X Axis box, the bars shrink in width such that you cannot see the
    fill colors. The settings in the series option menu does not affect the
    results.

    What's up? How do you add dates to the x axis of a bar chart?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Date X axis Affect Bar Width in a Bar Chart

    This often happens when you have dates on the category axis: the default
    unit is days, but you have weekly data, so you have one skinny column
    per week, and six blank places where there is no data.

    You can override Excel's default treatment of date values by converting
    the axis to a plain category axis. On the Chart menu, select Chart
    Options, then on the Axes tab, change the category axis from Automatic
    to Category.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP