Area Charts - Filling in above only

  1. #1
    Catalina
    Guest

    Area Charts - Filling in above only

    I have four lines that each define a horizontal zone. When I change each to
    an Area Chart, it appears that the color is only painted above each line and
    the color extends from the line all the way to the top of the chart. But
    above the top line I'd like this to be uncolored. I want the top two areas
    are filled in BELOW each line to a horiz. mid-point on the chart and the
    bottom two areas are filled in ABOVE these lines to a horiz. mid-point. In
    effect I want the chart to depict from top to bottom:

    Empty space
    Danger zone
    Safe zone
    Safe zone
    Danger zone
    Empty space

    Help!!

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Area Charts - Filling in above only

    Create a stacked area chart with one line for each of the zones of
    interest (and one for mid point line). If all the zones are of equal
    size, use a y value of 1 for each series. Alternatively, adjust them
    for your own requirements.

    0 1
    Empty space 1 1
    Danger zone 1 1
    Safe zone 1 1
    Midpoint 0 0
    Safe zone 1 1
    Danger zone 1 1
    Empty space 1 1

    In step 2 of the chart wizard ensure you select 'data are in rows.'
    Now, format each zone as desired.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Area Charts - Filling in above only

    Area charts fill in from the series to the category axis. Column charts also
    do this, going from the value to the axis.

    If your series are on the secondary axis, note that the secondary category
    axis is at the top of the chart. This means the area series (or columns)
    extend from the plotted value to the top of the chart. Fix this by double
    clicking on the secondary value axis (Y, not X), and unchecking the Category
    Axis Crosses at Maximum box, and putting the minimum of the axis (presumably
    zero) in the Category Axis Cresses At input box.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services