Series Lines Handling of Missing Data

  1. #1

    Series Lines Handling of Missing Data

    I have a stacked bar chart with three series, and I'd like to connect
    categories across all three series using series lines. One of the
    series has an empty category, which I'm placing as the last (top) item
    on each stacked bar.

    There is a nice way to manage how line charts handle missing data, but
    series lines don't seem to behave the same - they are all either on or
    off. Is there way to use series lines but force them to leave gaps when
    plotting the empty cell?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Series Lines Handling of Missing Data

    Hi,

    The Series Lines will honor the zero or missing values.
    You could create your own series lines using calculated points plotted
    as xy scatter lines. The hardest part is determining the x value for the
    edge of the columns. But once done for the 1st to 2nd column the spacing
    remains constant.

    The custom series lines has the added benefit that you can format
    individual segements of the series lines.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel