Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box

  1. #1
    Mary S.
    Guest

    Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box

    I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
    concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
    worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
    generate the text for my text box using the following formula:

    ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4

    However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
    box text:

    =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
    ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6

    I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
    defined name".

    Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel? (I am running
    Excel 2003 SP1). Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

    --
    Thanks,
    Mary S.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box

    Hi,

    The only formula you can use is a cell address. So do the concatenation
    in another cell and link to that one instead.

    Cheers
    Andy

    Mary S. wrote:
    > I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by
    > concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific
    > worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to
    > generate the text for my text box using the following formula:
    >
    > ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4
    >
    > However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text
    > box text:
    >
    > =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6)
    > ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6
    >
    > I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid reference or
    > defined name".
    >
    > Is what I am attempting to do simply impossible in Excel? (I am running
    > Excel 2003 SP1). Or, is there some way to do this that I am missing?

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info