How to make a chart from a list of names?

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    How to make a chart from a list of names?

    If I only hava a long list of names e.g like this;

    Andy
    Andy
    Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Robert
    Robert
    Robert
    Robert
    and so on

    I want to make a chart that shows both the names and how many times
    the name are occuring in the list.

    How can I do this with just a long list of names in Excel?

    Thanks
    /Chris

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to make a chart from a list of names?

    Chris -

    You could make a pivot table from the list of names, putting the Name field
    into the Row area and also into the Data area. This will provide a list with
    each name occurring once and next to it a count of occurrences.

    You could also use the FREQUENCY() worksheet function to achieve a list of
    names and occurrences.

    Then it is a simple matter to make a chart to display this data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to make a chart from a list of names?

    It was pointed out to me that FREQUENCY only works with numerical values.
    Instead, you could use COUNTIF().

    I would use the pivot table approach anyway. If you've never learned about
    Pivot Tables, this would be a rather simple example to learn on. I have some
    information and lots of links about pivot tables here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotlinks.htm

    Sorry if I caused any confusion.

    - Jon