Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

  1. #1
    Luke Williams
    Guest

    Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Hello,

    I'm trying to reproduce a graphic. It was made using the random generator
    number. Since, I am not very confortable with statistics I thought someone
    could help me with this. The X axis represents days. The Y axis a Flow
    volume that ranges from 0.4 to 32. The graphic represents a "possibility"
    model of a flow during a year. For example, Day 1 to Day 12, the flow is
    23.5 litres. Day 62 to 100, the flow is 0.4 litres. There are only 3
    possibilities: 0.4, 23.5 or 32.0. Please help, it's driving me nuts!

    Thanks,

    L.

  2. #2
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Luke wrote on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 06:19:02 -0800:

    LW> I'm trying to reproduce a graphic. It was made using the
    LW> random generator number. Since, I am not very confortable
    LW> with statistics I thought someone could help me with this.
    LW> The X axis represents days. The Y axis a Flow volume that
    LW> ranges from 0.4 to 32. The graphic represents a
    LW> "possibility" model of a flow during a year. For example,
    LW> Day 1 to Day 12, the flow is 23.5 litres. Day 62 to 100,
    LW> the flow is 0.4 litres. There are only 3 possibilities:
    0.4, 23.5 or
    LW> 32.0. Please help, it's driving me nuts!

    LW> Thanks,

    Since you only want 3 values, I think the easiest way might be
    to insert/define a function, say, GAS,
    =int(randbetween(1,3)+.1). Then equate your values:-
    =if(gas=1,0.4,if(gas=2,23.5,32.0))

    James Silverton.

  3. #3
    Luke Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Thanks James but it is not really giving me the results I need. Is there a
    way I could send you a JPEG of the graph so you could understand better what
    I am trying to reproduce?

  4. #4
    James Silverton

    Luke wrote on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:17:02 -0800:

    LW> "James Silverton" wrote:

    ??>> Luke wrote on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 06:19:02 -0800:
    ??>>
    Thanks James but it is not really giving me the results I need.
    Is there a
    way I could send you a JPEG of the graph so you could understand
    better what
    I am trying to reproduce?

    Luke,
    I guess you are right; I don't understand the problem. I regret
    that I am going to be out for 10 days or so over the holidays so
    I hope someone else can help.

    Feel free to post again if you don't get any assistance. You
    might be able to e-mail a graphic to me but the safest thing
    might be for *me* to email you first if your posted address is a
    real one.
    James Silverton.

  5. #5
    Luke Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Thanks James. My email is [email protected]

    Could you quickly look at it and maybe suggest how to approach the problem?
    I was told it was creqted with the random number generator add-in. The
    add-in has som many options, I am unsure hot to proceed and have tried just
    about everything it offers too...

    I wish you happy holidays!

    L.

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Suppose your dates are in col. A starting with A2. Then, in B2 enter
    the formula =CHOOSE(INT(RAND()*3+1),0.4,23.5,32). Copy B2 as far down
    col. B as you have dates in col. A. Plot the data in A:B.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  7. #7
    Luke Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    Thanks Tushar, I will try that - Now, my problem is translating your formula
    into French (work insisted on installing Excel in french so I have to find
    what INT is in french?!)

    :-)

  8. #8
    James Silverton

    Tushar wrote on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:06:07 -0500:

    TM> Suppose your dates are in col. A starting with A2. Then,
    TM> in B2 enter the formula
    TM> =CHOOSE(INT(RAND()*3+1),0.4,23.5,32). Copy B2 as far down
    TM> col. B as you have dates in col. A. Plot the data in A:B.

    I'm not the OP but thanks Tushar. I have to admit that I did not
    know about CHOOSE. It's certainly more elegant than my
    "solution" but will it do what the OP wants? :-)

    James Silverton.

  9. #9
    Luke Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    I was able to translate your formula! Thanks! Is there a way also to make
    sure that the number does not appear more than twice? I get for example in
    cell b2, b3, b4 the same number I would like not more than 2 cells with the
    same number.

    Thanks again!

  10. #10
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Create a Graph with Random Number Generator

    "Luke Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to reproduce a graphic. It was made using the random

    generator
    > > > number. Since, I am not very confortable with statistics I thought

    someone
    > > > could help me with this. The X axis represents days. The Y axis a

    Flow
    > > > volume that ranges from 0.4 to 32. The graphic represents a

    "possibility"
    > > > model of a flow during a year. For example, Day 1 to Day 12, the flow

    is
    > > > 23.5 litres. Day 62 to 100, the flow is 0.4 litres. There are only 3
    > > > possibilities: 0.4, 23.5 or 32.0. Please help, it's driving me nuts!

    > > Suppose your dates are in col. A starting with A2. Then, in B2 enter
    > > the formula =CHOOSE(INT(RAND()*3+1),0.4,23.5,32). Copy B2 as far down
    > > col. B as you have dates in col. A. Plot the data in A:B.

    > I was able to translate your formula! Thanks! Is there a way also to

    make
    > sure that the number does not appear more than twice? I get for example in
    > cell b2, b3, b4 the same number I would like not more than 2 cells with

    the
    > same number.

    If you're saying that instead of the random choice you don't want more than
    2 consecutive rows with the same value, you could use a COUNTIF on the 2
    rows above your current row, and if you've got 2 rows of the same number
    then do your new CHOOSE between just the 2 remaining values (and
    equivalently for 2 of each of your 3 options), otherwise choose between the
    3 values as above.
    --
    David Biddulph