What Is The Name This Chart Type

  1. #1
    Minitman
    Guest

    What Is The Name This Chart Type

    Greeting,

    I would like to build a chart for scheduling workers. What I would
    like is a chart with time across the top and workers down the left
    side. There are a number of jobs to be done each day. These jobs
    range from 1 to 20 hours, most are 2 to 4 hours.

    The time is broken down by 12 minute intervals.

    I need to assign each worker as many jobs as they can handle.

    I saw a chart that was set up with time across the and workers down
    the side and the jobs are blocked off in the time the job took, in the
    row of the worker. Each worker is blocking off from 1 to 4 jobs a
    day. Something like this:

    8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5
    Time |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
    Worker A |----|< 3 >|--< 8 >|--< 9 >-|
    Worker B |< 1 >|--< 5 >|----|----|
    Worker C |----|----|< 2 >|----|

    Job 1 is 4 hours in the AM
    Job 2 is 6 hours starting at 10:00 AM
    Job 3 is 2 hours any time
    Job 4 Cancelled
    Job 5 is 2.5 hours any time
    Job 6 Cancelled
    Job 7 Cancelled
    Job 8 is 2.5 any time
    Job 9 is 2 hours in the afternoon

    My first question is: What is this kind of chart called?
    And my next question is: How do I create one?

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Any help would be appreciated/

    TIA

    -Minitman

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    "Minitman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Greeting,
    >
    > I would like to build a chart for scheduling workers. What I would
    > like is a chart with time across the top and workers down the left
    > side. There are a number of jobs to be done each day. These jobs
    > range from 1 to 20 hours, most are 2 to 4 hours.
    >
    > The time is broken down by 12 minute intervals.
    >
    > I need to assign each worker as many jobs as they can handle.
    >
    > I saw a chart that was set up with time across the and workers down
    > the side and the jobs are blocked off in the time the job took, in
    > the row of the worker. Each worker is blocking off from 1 to 4 jobs
    > a day. Something like this:
    >
    > 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5
    > Time |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
    > Worker A |----|< 3 >|--< 8 >|--< 9 >-|
    > Worker B |< 1 >|--< 5 >|----|----|
    > Worker C |----|----|< 2 >|----|
    >
    > Job 1 is 4 hours in the AM
    > Job 2 is 6 hours starting at 10:00 AM
    > Job 3 is 2 hours any time
    > Job 4 Cancelled
    > Job 5 is 2.5 hours any time
    > Job 6 Cancelled
    > Job 7 Cancelled
    > Job 8 is 2.5 any time
    > Job 9 is 2 hours in the afternoon
    >
    > My first question is: What is this kind of chart called?
    > And my next question is: How do I create one?
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated/
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -Minitman

    Hi,

    First of all, your diagram is great!

    I don't know what the chart type is called, but I don't think you'll
    find it in Excel's charting options.

    If you want to do it, I would think about just setting it up in a
    worksheet using cells.

    You could colour cells to show where a person is free or booked, and
    enter the job number in the cells themselves?

    Hope that helps - at least as an idea!

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    [email protected]

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

  3. #3
    Jean Ruch
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    "Minitman" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greeting,
    >
    > I would like to build a chart for scheduling workers. What I would
    > like is a chart with time across the top and workers down the left
    > side. There are a number of jobs to be done each day. These jobs
    > range from 1 to 20 hours, most are 2 to 4 hours.
    >
    > The time is broken down by 12 minute intervals.
    >
    > I need to assign each worker as many jobs as they can handle.
    >
    > I saw a chart that was set up with time across the and workers down
    > the side and the jobs are blocked off in the time the job took, in

    the
    > row of the worker. Each worker is blocking off from 1 to 4 jobs a
    > day. Something like this:
    >
    > 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5
    > Time |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
    > Worker A |----|< 3 >|--< 8 >|--< 9 >-|
    > Worker B |< 1 >|--< 5 >|----|----|
    > Worker C |----|----|< 2 >|----|

    Hi Minitman,

    Your Diagram is great indeed.

    Possibly you could also use excel integrated Diagrams.
    Have a look at
    http://users.quick-line.ch/ramel/Dia...lte_Balken.xls

    (sorry for the german language). Choose sheet "Zeitstrahl" . Insert the
    names of your workers instead of "Strahl" and it should do what you
    expect.

    kind regards

    Jean

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    Looks to me like a Gantt chart. Here are some tips:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    Thanks Alan,

    You have a great idea. How do I know, it is what I've already done.
    (You know what they say about great minds). And thanks for the
    compliment on that chart.

    I have to enter in10 years worth, one month at a time. It took me
    three days to do the first month. I am not sure that I can teach some
    data entry person to go though all of the hoops that it take to get
    each job entered. I was hoping to find the name of this chart type so
    that I could study up on it.

    I am using columns that are 0.69 wide for my printable form. First, I
    use the thinnest broken line border. Then every 4th cell has on the
    left side the thinnest solid line. Then for 12:00 noon and midnight,
    I put the medium solid line. Finally, I color the AM a light green
    and the PM a light orange. The blocked times are merged together
    individually by job, with the color removed (giving a white spot in
    the midst of the colors) and the job numbers are then centered within
    the merged, blocked off areas. It does look good. It just needs to
    be automated.

  6. #6
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    Hey Jean,

    Thanks for the complement and the link. I looked at and looks really
    nice, but a bit of overkill for what I am trying to do. Thanks for
    trying, I do appreciate the effort.

    -Minitman

  7. #7
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: What Is The Name This Chart Type

    Hey Jon,

    That's the name! It was on the tip of my tongue but kept coming out
    wrong. Thanks.

    As for the links, they are excellent. However, they are way beyond my
    capabilities. Do you do small projects for a reasonable fee? If so,
    please contact me directly at exreply[at]i-m-p.net.

    Thanks.

    -Minitman