x-axis is time ... sort of

  1. #1

    x-axis is time ... sort of

    I'm trying to create a chart in Excel like the one on this page:

    http://finance.yahoo.com/bonds/composite_bond_rates

    If the above link doesn't show up, you can get to the page by going to
    Yahoo Finance and clicking on "Rates", which is about half way down on
    the left side.

    The x-axis on this chart is not time as in dates, but it is time as in
    length of period (e.g. 3 days, 3 months, 3 years...) and the spacing
    between x-axis labels is scaled by time period (not equally spaced).

    I can do this in Excel using x-y scatter and x-axis data as # of days
    (1 for 1 day, 365 for 1 year, 10950 for 30 years, etc), but the x-axis
    labels are, obviously, the number of days (e.g. it says "3650" instead
    of "10y" or "10 years"). Is there a way to make the x-axis labels say,
    for example, "1y" instead of "365" and still have them spaced
    correctly, like they are on the page above? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: x-axis is time ... sort of

    Use this technique to apply the desired data labels in place of the regular
    axis tick labels:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    - Jon
    -------