PivotCharts, PivotTables, I'm going insane

  1. #1
    CBA88
    Guest

    PivotCharts, PivotTables, I'm going insane

    Pardon my lengthy post, but I don't see an alternative to describing in
    detail my quandary dilemma.

    What I am hoping to accomplish:
    Refresh/Update multiple tables and charts by changing one piece of data.
    Whether this is possible, I do not know - please read on if you have time.

    Project:
    Take survey data and provide charts and tables summarizing responses by
    total company response, response by department, and response by length of
    service.

    Data is organized as follows:
    78 total questions were in the survey; each question is a column heading.
    640 employees responded to the survey; each employee has a row.

    76 out of the 78 questions have responses of agree, disagree, neutral,
    strongly agree, strongly disagree.
    The remaining two questions ask for the respondents department and length of
    service (organized by less than one year, 1 to 3, 3 to 5, greater than 5)
    respectively.

    There are no numbers in this spreadsheet. It is all agree, disagree, etc.

    For each question, I must provide:
    1. a pie chart breaking down the total response to each question
    2. a bar chart organized by department and response to each
    3. a bar chart organized by length of service and response to each

    Creating the individual charts is not a problem. However, for the sake of
    saving time (not having to create 200+ charts individually), I was hoping to
    figure a way to get the questions (first row of data) as a drop down or
    something so I could simply create the charts/tables once for one question,
    print, select question 2 from a drop down/update charts, print, select
    question 3, update, print, etc.

    It may be a matter of reorganizing the spreadsheet, I'm not certain.

    I greatly thank you in advance, both for reading through this monstrosity of
    a post and for providing any suggestions.

    Best regards,
    Brad

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: PivotCharts, PivotTables, I'm going insane

    You could add a couple of columns to the survey results, to calculate
    which question has been selected from a dropdown list. Then, base the
    pivot table on those columns, and the Dept, and Years columns.

    I've posted a sample file on my web site:

    Under PivotTables, look for Survey Pivot Charts.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    CBA88
    Guest

    Re: PivotCharts, PivotTables, I'm going insane

    Debra,

    Brilliant.

    I wasn't familiar with the OFFSET function. Worked like a charm. Your
    sample sheet helped out tremendously. I had to study it a bit to see how you
    were using named ranges, etc. At any rate, more information for my Excel
    arsenal.

    Many thanks!

    Brad

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: PivotCharts, PivotTables, I'm going insane

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped, and sorry
    that I didn't have more time to add explanations to the file.