Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Line chart zero values

  1. #1
    JC
    Guest

    Line chart zero values

    Hi,

    I have several different charts running, both dynamic and static, and both types
    have the same problem.

    Amongst the data being plotted are cells with computed values using formulas
    similar to =IF($B7>0,AVERAGE($B1:$B7),""). The line graphs are drawn ok
    where there is real data present but at the first point where the "" is to be
    graphed the line drops to 0. Subsequent points are not plotted but presumably
    would be if 0 was included in the graphing range. I assume that this happens
    because Excel treats text as being zero.

    I have tried replacing the "" with NA() but this puts #NA in the workbook cells
    and doesn't change the way the graph is presented. If NA() had worked I would
    have left the cells on screen with "" as information cells and set up helper
    cells off screen with NA() replacing "" purely to be used for the chart.

    This is not a big problem and I can live with it as it is now but It would be
    better if the graph stopped at the last entry with real data.

    Is there a way to achieve this?
    --

    Cheers . . . JC

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Line chart zero values

    NA() should in fact change the chart, by causing a line to be interpolated
    from one data point, across a gap, to another data point. If you only
    changed one "" to NA(), then the line will connect the last valid point to
    the first "" after the NA(). If all values on one end of a series are NA(),
    then the line stops at the last valid data point.

    If you are entering something that only looks like #N/A but is in fact
    interpreted as text, "#N/A" for instance, then it will behave as "".

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Line chart zero values

    Try selecting the chart (just click on it) ; use Tools|Option|Chart and set
    required option in Plotting Empty Cells box
    best wishes--
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
    remove caps from email

  4. #4
    JC
    Guest

    Re: Line chart zero values

    John,

    As usual you were spot on. I had only tried changing one to NA() instead of
    all so the line connected to the next "" value.

    Many thanks.

    --

    Cheers . . . JC

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Line chart zero values

    I always try to think: if I'm doing something, and I'm in a hurry, how would
    I have messed it up. (Or how do I always mess it up.)

    - Jon
    -------

Closed Thread