Pie Chart - Smooth Edges

  1. #1
    Rachel
    Guest

    Pie Chart - Smooth Edges

    Why are the edges of all pie charts jagged? Is there a way to make them
    perfect circles with smooth edges?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pie Chart - Smooth Edges

    When I make a pie chart in Excel, I can see the jaggedness corresponding to
    the pixels in the monitor. But when I print out the chart, the scale of
    jaggedness is reduced to the printer resolution, so it appears much
    smoother.

    Have you copied/pasted the chart into another program or into an image file?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rachel
    Guest

    Re: Pie Chart - Smooth Edges

    That is primarily where I use them. I copy them into PowerPoint and
    Publisher. So is my best bet to work on my printer resolution? We are trying
    to stay away from use images or pictures - as the charts are often updated
    and there is a desire to keep excel and formulas pure. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pie Chart - Smooth Edges

    Hi Rachel -

    This is probably the best approach:

    1. Select the chart.
    2. Hold down Shift while you select Copy Picture from the Edit menu (Shift
    changes Copy to Copy Picture).
    3. Choose the On Screen and Picture options (not Bitmap, which is likely
    part of your problem).
    4. In the target application (PowerPoint/Publisher), do a simple Paste.

    This pastes a metafile, which is the collection of shapes, lines, and text
    that make a chart. These drawing objects will be rendered by the receiving
    application at whatever resolution they use for their native drawing
    objects, and you can rescale them without (too much) distortion.

    - Jon
    -------