Series order conflicts with line order

  1. #1
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Series order conflicts with line order

    I've set my series in the order that I want, however, it conflicts with the
    visual layout of the lines. One data line (less important) visually
    obstructs another line in the chart. Is there a way to change the layout
    order (without changing the series order), i.e., forcing it "back" or
    "behind" another line.

    Thanks. Diana

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Series order conflicts with line order

    Hi,

    Perhaps you could use the secondary axis, which will plot lines in front
    of the primary axis series.
    Add a new series based on the same cells and set it to the secondary
    axis. That should sort the obstruction. You will then need to remove the
    addition legend entry, see here for details of how to do that.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Cowtoon
    Guest

    Re: Series order conflicts with line order

    Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the posting. I'll look into that.
    Without reading that info, I think I'll still need to keep that particular
    data set on both axis - don't want to lose it in the original legend (need it
    first on the list).
    Diana

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Series order conflicts with line order

    Plotting a series on the secondary axis also changes its place in the
    legend.

    You could plot the series twice, format both the same in the chart, and then
    delete the legend entry which you don't want. To delete a single legend
    entry, select the legend, then click on the legend entry's label, and press
    delete.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP