Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Graphing weekly/monthly averages

  1. #1
    Heidi
    Guest

    Graphing weekly/monthly averages

    I currently work with a very large data set that includes daily values for a
    variety of variables (one day per row, different variables in columns B-H).

    For various logistical reasons, the data are not kept in chronological order
    by date. Thankfully, when graphing the daily values, Excel handles
    out-of-order dates just fine when the x-axis is in date format.

    However, now that the data set is getting so huge, I'd like to have
    additional charts for weekly averages and monthly averages.

    I can do this at the spreadsheet level if the data are sorted by date (but I
    don't want to do that), but was wondering if this could be done at the graph
    level. There are options under Format Axis>Scale that seem like this could
    happen, but instead of averaging them, it graphs each point vertically above
    the given week or month.

    What is the best approach for generating weekly and monthly average values
    and graphing them?

    Thank you!
    Heidi

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing weekly/monthly averages

    Heidi -

    > I can do this at the spreadsheet level....

    Why not use a second sheet as a summary sheet, which serves as the source of
    the chart data? You can use a pivot table to generate the weekly or monthly
    numbers (by grouping the date field), or formulas (probably array formulas).
    Neither approach requires the original data to be sorted.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Heidi
    Guest

    Re: Graphing weekly/monthly averages

    Jon,

    Thanks. I hadn't thought of pivot tables. What do you mean by "grouping
    the date field"?

    Thanks,

    Heidi

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing weekly/monthly averages

    To group a field, right click on the field button in the pivot table, and
    select Group and Show Detail from the popup menu, then select Group. Select
    the appropriate period to group by in the dialog.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Heidi
    Guest

    Re: Graphing weekly/monthly averages

    Thank you! The group feature in the pivottable does exactly what I needed!

    -Heidi

Closed Thread