multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

  1. #1
    Ef
    Guest

    multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

    I like to graph data points with dates on the x-axis. I have not been able
    to graph more than one line at a time. Why not? Can I?
    Ef

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

    There should be no problem having two (or more) data series.
    How is the data set out on your worksheet?
    Are you making a Line chart?

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ef
    Guest

    Re: multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

    I have homes sales prices in a column and dates in the other(x values). I
    just read where choosing "time-scale" for the x-axis will allow only the
    first group of dates to be used. At this point it looks like I have to use
    an x-y scatter graph to accomplish what I want. I no nothing about them yet,
    but I will try that next to see if it solves my problem. Do you agree? Or
    have other suggestions.
    Thanks for helping.
    Ef

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

    Hi Ef:
    " just read where choosing "time-scale" for the x-axis will allow only the
    first group of dates to be used."
    Not sure what that means 'first group of dates'
    What do you want in the second data series.
    Try this
    A1 leave empty; B1 enter "Sales", C1, Enter "Others"
    A2 enter 1/Jan, A3 enter 2/Jan; select with mouse A1:A2 and pull the fill
    handle down to get 10/Jan
    B2:B1 enter some numbers, C2:C:10 enter some numbers
    Select A1:C10; make LINE chart
    You now have a line chart with two data series.
    Any help? or I am I missing something?
    Send me private message and I will forward a file.

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: multi-line graph with dates on x-axis

    If the second set of Y values correspond to a different set of dates, you
    can create the chart as a line chart with the first set of X and Y. Then
    copy the second set of X and Y, select the chart, and use Paste Special from
    the Edit menu to add the data as a new series, categories in first column
    (or row). The second series will be added as a Line series, using the first
    set of dates. Select the new series, and on the Chart menu, choose Chart
    Type, and select an XY style.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP