how do i update a chart area automatically

  1. #1
    Kay
    Guest

    how do i update a chart area automatically

    Hello,

    I have an offset formula I use to update a chart plotted by columns. I name
    the ranges and change the range areas to the offset formula...something like
    this =Offset(Sheet1! $A$2,0,0,CountA(Sheet1! $A:A)-1). Basically, makes all
    the rows available for charting minus the row with the label. I use this
    same technique for two columns...Column A acts as the Category x axis and
    Column B as the value axis. Works beautifully

    Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows. My values would
    grow as new field names would be added across the columns...specifically,
    Jan, Feb, March and then have April, May and June added to the plot area
    automatically.

    C138:C147 would have the names of sales reps and D137:F137 would hold the
    Month labels and then D138: F147 would list the values. So the list of sales
    reps is static, but new data comes in for each month and needs to be added to
    the charts. I have many of these charts on a dash board and do not want to
    update all of them every month. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    alathough I want to use VBA as a last resort.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: how do i update a chart area automatically

    You use the same idea with the OFFSET formula. The syntax of OFFSET is:

    OFFSET(range, offset rows, offset columns, resize rows, resize columns)

    so your month label range would have a "refers to" definition like

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$137,0,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$137:$137))

    This assumes only the dates appear in row 137, and that a date header is not
    added until data for the date is added. The easiest way to define the value
    ranges with respect to the month range (MonthRange below) is:

    =OFFSET(MonthRange,1,0)
    =OFFSET(MonthRange,2,0)
    =OFFSET(MonthRange,3,0)
    etc.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kay
    Guest

    Re: how do i update a chart area automatically

    Jon,

    I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your answer, but I have
    been travelling on buisness. I appreciate your responseD!!!

    I am not sure I understand your explanation of the MonthRanges. Do I need
    to create multiple range names for each column of data that hold the values?

    Jan Feb Mar
    Salespeople's Names 4589 1234 4589
    MORE 2456 4879 12365
    MORE 48795 7845 45623

    Kay

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: how do i update a chart area automatically

    Yes, you need to create a name for the months (the X values) and for each Y
    series. These names are used in the series definition formula.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Kay
    Guest

    Re: how do i update a chart area automatically

    Thank you Jon.