Label Doughnut-Chart outside

  1. #1

    Label Doughnut-Chart outside

    Hi,

    Does anyone has a VBA Script to label a doughnut chart outside the actual chart with a leader line? Excel only gives you this option with a pie chart.

    Thanx for any help.

    Steeplechase

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Label Doughnut-Chart outside

    Hi,

    If this is a single ring donut then you do not need any code.

    Assuming your data is in A1:B5, labels in column A. Series name and
    values in column B

    A1:= B1:=Name
    A2:=S1 B2:=1
    A3:=S2 B3:=2
    A4:=S3 B4:=3
    A5:=S4 B5:=4

    Add a copy of B1:B5 into C1:C5. Now select the range A1:C5 and create a
    donut, which will have 2 rings.
    Select the outer ring and change its chart type to Pie. The pie will
    cover the donut for the moment until we finish formatting the chart.
    Select the pie chart and add data labels make sure you check the leader
    line option. On the patterns tab set the border and fill to none. This
    will cause the pie to vanish but the data labels will remain.

    With only 4 slices you will probably need to drag a data label away from
    the donut in order to see the leader lines, but they are there now.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Label Doughnut-Chart outside

    It's easy to simulate the effect.

    Create the doughnut chart.

    Now, add the same data set as a 2nd series.

    Select one of the plotted series. Select Chart | Chart Type... | Pie chart

    Double-click the pie chart and add the desired labels.

    Position the labels as desired.

    Double-click the pie chart and from the Patterns tab set 'Border' and
    'Area' to None. If you have a legend, delete the extraneous entry from
    there.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4

    Thanx - thats working.

    Hello There!
    Thanx for your help. That actually works very well. Is there a way in VBA to do those steps automatically? For example by just selecting a graph and clicking on one single button?

    I appreciate your help.

    Steeplechase

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Label Doughnut-Chart outside

    The simplest way to generate the code would be to make use of the macro
    recorder. Just turn it on and perform the required steps in order to
    format your chart.
    For more information see Tushar's page,
    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/be...rder/index.htm

    Cheers