Varying data on X axis

  1. #1

    Varying data on X axis

    Hi all,

    I have a graph that includes a lot of data, it looks messy hard to see individual points. I would like to be able to vary the amount of data points shown at anyone time on the x axis.

    I have had a look at adding a scrollbar, but I can only get that to increase the number of points shown. I want to be able to set a limit to the number of points shown at any one time. So if I have 1000 data points I want to able to view points 1 - 100, then 2 - 101, 3 - 102 up to 901 - 1000.

    Hope I have explained myself properly, I appreciate any help I can get.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Varying data on X axis

    check out pivot tables and or autofilter. By playing with the data
    structure, you cna do what you want with either of these.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Varying data on X axis

    If you are now changing the number of points with your scrollbar, the
    defined name you are using has this kind of Refers To formula:

    =OFFSET(A1,0,0,linked cell,1)

    You want to change it to something like this:

    =OFFSET(A1,linked cell,0,100,1)

    where "linked cell" refers to the cell containing the value indicated by the
    scroll bar.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP