Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

How to I write text onto connectors/lines in Excel?

  1. #1
    Umar
    Guest

    How to I write text onto connectors/lines in Excel?

    I want to draw a decision tree flowchart in Excel.
    Hence I need to write on the connector/line that links
    two boxes. e.g. I want to write 'YES' and 'NO' onto the
    connector/line. Is this possible?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How to I write text onto connectors/lines in Excel?

    Hi,

    It would appear you can not add text directly to a connection line. You
    will have to use a textbox. If you need the text and connector to move
    together you can group the shapes.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Nick Hebb
    Guest

    Re: How to I write text onto connectors/lines in Excel?

    A few tips:

    1. Like Andy said - use a textbox.

    2. Right-click on the textbox, and select Format AutoShape. In the
    dialog that shows, select the Colors and Lines tab and set the border
    line to No Line.

    3. Once you've formatted one textbox, click the Format Painter (paint
    brush symbol) button on the toolbar then click the second shape to copy
    the "no line" style.

    4. If the flow lines (arrow connectors) show on top of the textbox,
    right-click the textbox and select Order > Bring to front from the
    context menu.

    5. When you're done, either disable the gridlines or set the fill color
    to white for the whole sheet. This will give the flowchart a cleaner
    look, and the white fill of the Yes/No textboxes will no longer stand
    out.

    HTH,

    Nick Hebb
    BreezeTree Software, LLC
    http://www.breezetree.com

  4. #4
    Pennsylvania
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How to I write text onto lines in Excel?

    I want to be able to type on top of lines that I create in excel. How do I create a document that will enable me to do that and save it for next time that same way??

    Thank you.

Closed Thread