Pie Charts

  1. #1
    Scott Burke
    Guest

    Pie Charts

    I am trying to use a pie chart. What I wont to do is this.
    Cell M1 = How much money I made this month.
    Cell M4 = How much I wrote in checks.

    I wont the pie chart to show "M1" that is the pie it self = "M1"
    and I wont the pie slice (one slice) to show "M4"

    I cant seem to get the pie chart to equal "M1". "M1" allways shows up as a
    slice it self.

    Can it be done?

    Scott Burke

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charts

    In some cell, say M5, enter =M1-M4.

    Plot M4:M5. The first slice will be M4. The 2nd slice will represent the
    savings for the month. The total pie, of course, will represent the money
    made in the month.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Scott Burke
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charts

    Hi Tushar. Thank you for your time. Maybe I did not explain what I was
    after.
    Let me try again.
    1) I wont the hole pie to equal "M1". example M1 = 500
    I wont the hole pie to equal 500

    2) I wont the slice of pie to equal "M4". example M4 = 100

    I wont only ONE (1) slice in the pie. That slice should equal = 100 or
    1/5 of the pie.

    how do I assign the whole pie a value????

    Scott Burke

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charts

    If you take a slice out of a pie you are *always* left with at least one
    more piece -- unless, of course, the slice is the size of the pie itself.

    Try it with a real pie and see.

    Bottom line...it is impossible to have just one slice in a pie if that slice
    is smaller than the pie.

    With my solution you will have two slices. One that represents the amount
    of money you wrote checks for, the other the amount that you did not.

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charts

    Hi Scott,

    As Tushar points out your pie chart must contain 2 values.
    For easy of chart creation use the following cell values.

    M1: =500
    M4: =100
    M5: =M1-M4

    Select the range M4:M5 and use the chart wizard to create a 2 slice pie
    chart. Click the pie and then click the second slice. Press CRTL+1 to
    bring up the Format Data Point dialog. Set the Area and Border colours
    to None. This will leave you a slice 1/5th of the pie.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel