Legend does not work

  1. #1

    Legend does not work

    Hi,
    Spent an hour looking into this. Not sure if this is a known bug or not.
    The legend for the graph is not working correctly...I have the following cells graphed :
    USA
    Jan-90 3.1
    Feb-90 3.4
    Mar-90 2.1
    etc...

    When I click legend it displays every single date in the first column rather than "USA". I've tried to manually call the series USA, erase the first column, recreate the range but it still doesn't work. This is crazy and excel help is useless. I've followed all the steps in excel help but they don't solve the problem.
    Anyone have any ideas on why it is using the dates as the legend?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Legend does not work

    Hi,

    With data laid out like this,
    B1: =USA
    A2: =Jan-90 B2: =3.1
    A3: =Feb-90 B3: =3.4
    A4: =Mar-90 B4: =2.1

    Selecting range A1:B4 and when going through the chart wizard on step 2
    of 4 on the Data Range tab make sure 'Series in:' Columns is selected.
    This then gives me legend of USA and axis labels of the dates.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Legend does not work

    Also don't enable "Vary Colors by Point" (Format Series > Options tab).

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services