plot frequency

  1. #1
    notquitefedupwithxl
    Guest

    plot frequency

    I wasn't able to locate how to solve the following problem, so I thought I'd
    post it here:

    I have a 2 long columns of data points (XY scatter format). I want to plot
    only every 3rd XY pair. Aside from manually selecting every third data point
    with ctrl+left mouse click, is there an easier way?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: plot frequency

    Let's say your data is in A1:A100 with row 1 containing labels.
    A has the x-values, B the y-values
    In C2 enter =IF(MOD(ROW()-1,3)=0,B2,NA())
    Copy this down to C100
    Select A1:A100, hold CTRL, select C1:C100
    (Control key used to select non-contiguous data)
    Make chart in normal way; Excel will ignore the NA values

    If first x-value is in A1 use =IF(MOD(ROW(),3)=0,B1,NA())
    If first x-value is in A2 use =IF(MOD(ROW()-1,3)=0,B2,NA())
    If first x-values is in A3 use =IF(MOD(ROW()-2,3)=0,B3,NA())
    If first x-value in A4 use =IF(MOD(ROW(),3)=0,B4,NA())
    get the picture?

    best wishes
    hope you recover from your XL-distemper!
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "notquitefedupwithxl" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    RE: plot frequency

    To supplement Bernard's suggestion see
    Select Markers
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...ers/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach