Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

  1. #1

    Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

    I was wondering if it is possible to place a vertical line in the
    "Lines on 2 Axes" Chart.

    I usually add extra data series if I want to make extra lines but for
    this type of graph, it very difficult if not impossible. Adding
    Horizontal lines are no problem because that's the direction my data is
    going but the vertical conflicts with it. When I try and specify the
    location I want the vertical line to be at, it ends up getting very
    messy. Any advice?

    Judokid

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

    It's probably better to start with the regular line chart type, rather than
    the built-in custom lines on two axes type. Then double click one series,
    and on the Axis tab, select Secondary.

    To add a line in H or V orientation:

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

    I've tried starting with the line graph and adding a bar graph series
    onto it and I'm getting decent results. So right now, I've got both
    axis' used up. Secondary axis for the bar graph and primary axis for a
    line graph. Now on top of this, I need to add a vertical line in a
    graph. I tried adding another data series and changing the chart type
    of that series. However, the XY Scatter and the basic line graphs
    don't seem to work.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Lines on the Lines on 2 Axes Chart

    You mean Column, not Bar, right?

    The XY series can go onto the same axes as the Line chart. The first
    category is 1 for the XY series, the second is 2, etc., so the axis probably
    goes from 0.5 to N + 0.5, where N is the number of categories in the Line
    series.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______