Changing Time Scale to Seconds on Excel Chart

  1. #1
    JaneinPA
    Guest

    Changing Time Scale to Seconds on Excel Chart

    My students are plotting the temperature of a liquid over time. We can make
    a beautiful line graph, but the scale of the X axis is wrong. It should show
    tick marks at 30 second intervals, but instead it just shows 1, 2, 3, etc. I
    have tried checking off "time scale" when I create the chart, but it uses the
    interval of days, months or years. We want intervals of seconds. Can this
    be done?

    Also, is it possible to add straight lines (i.e., y=30) to the line graph?

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Changing Time Scale to Seconds on Excel Chart

    Use an XY (Scatter) plot instead of a Line chart.

    To add the constant 30 line, add a new column next to your existing data
    with 30 in all cells. Then go to Chart > Source Data and add the series.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Changing Time Scale to Seconds on Excel Chart

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My students are plotting the temperature of a liquid over time. We can make
    > a beautiful line graph, but the scale of the X axis is wrong. It should show
    > tick marks at 30 second intervals, but instead it just shows 1, 2, 3, etc. I
    > have tried checking off "time scale" when I create the chart, but it uses the
    > interval of days, months or years. We want intervals of seconds. Can this
    > be done?
    >

    > Also, is it possible to add straight lines (i.e., y=30) to the line graph?

    As has already been suggested, use a XY Scatter chart. The x-axis option of
    'time scale' is misleading since it is more like a 'day scale.'

    To add a horizontal line see
    Adding a horizontal line to a chart
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...traight_lines/

    Also, Jon Peltier has a different approach to the subject. I don't have a
    direct page reference but you check his site at www.peltiertech.com.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions