Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

  1. #1
    Jennifer
    Guest

    Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

    I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many
    charts and graphs that were created in Excel. Currently, there will be at
    least 26 graphs/charts in the document.

    In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough
    space to save the Word document because it gets too big. The document itself
    is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least
    26 graphs and charts. I'm looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into
    Excel without it taking so much memory.

    One solution we thought of was to only paste the graph/chart once we know
    the data will not change, and to paste it in without any links. However, I
    can't figure out how to do this.

    Because the graphs/charts are so complicated, and have so much data, they
    seem to be too big.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do about this? What's the
    best way to copy the charts/graphs into Word?

    We are using Excel and Word 2000 if that makes a difference.

    Jennifer

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

    There are several aspects to your question. One key point that I'd like to
    make is the idea you can add dumb pictures of your Excel charts which
    require very little space or you can add the entire workbook and Excel
    chart.

    It sounds like you are copying the Excel chart in Excel then going to word
    and hitting paste. When you do this you are actually copying the entire
    book.

    The alternative method that reduces file size in word is to use Edit> Paste
    Special> (Enhanced meta File> . with this method you have a dumb picture, no
    link back to Excel file. However, you have a smaller Word file, important
    when you have dozens of charts.

    You can reduce size even further by Exporting Excel charts as jpeg or gif
    files then importing into Word.

    Hope this helps.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kelly O'Day

  4. #4
    Kelly O'Day

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big

    If you decide to use bitmaps, don't use jpg, use png or gif. However,
    bitmaps are not as good a choice, because you can't change their size, even
    a little, without distortion. Metafiles are tolerant of resizing, at least
    to an extent. FWIW, there is no difference in the appearance of a regular
    and an enhanced metafile; the difference relates to header information
    hidden away in the file. A metafile may even be smaller than a bitmapped
    image.

    I'd paste the pictures using paste special - links. This contributes hardly
    any more to the Word file size than a metafile, but it's dynamic, in case
    the data is still moving, and at the end of the process, you can copy the
    linked chart in Word, then paste special again, as a metafile. Or even go to
    Edit > Links, and break the link, which converts the chart to a metafile.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...