[SOLVED] I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resize gr

  1. #1
    Iwan Setiyono Ko
    Guest

    [SOLVED] I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resize gr

    Hello all,
    Help me!!! I have noticed that excell has been malfunctioning at my computer
    for quite some time. I have two problems with charting:

    1. My axis title for the Y axis is truncated, for example if I intend to
    give a title of "Population number", excell truncates them into unfavorable
    one, like "Population numb", and even worse the next letter of the sentence,
    i.e. the "e" was half displayed, leaving an impression of cracking words.

    2. Another peculiarity with my excell program is that it does not allow
    (give me choice) to resize my title axis, while strangely, it does allow me
    to do so with the main chart/graph. When I point my cursor to every inch of
    the border it does not become available for reisizing.

    These 2 problems are persistent to the printing document and the associated
    pdf file. I have tried anything I could to try to fix these problems, like
    re-start the computer, uninstall and re-install the antivirus program,
    completely enable the excell macro, uninstall and re-install the office
    program, including the excell, and even re-install the operating system XP
    SP2, but nothing works.

    When I open/edit the chart/graph with the same excell version from another
    computer (at the office) the truncated axis title does appear there but I can
    edit/fix and resize it. Moreover, the printing document and the associated
    pdf file are just fine. So, in this case, I would probably assume that the
    problems are likely to be caused by either the computer (or the operating
    system?), and if it is true, it is so embarassing since I bought the laptop
    new, guaranteed and sealed; it is not a refurbish.

    I have been experiencing this problem with 2 excell versions, version Pro
    2000 and now Pro 2003. I use Norwegian language version of Windows XP SP 2 OS.

    My questions
    ---------------
    1. Are these problems caused by the computer (hardware) or the OS?
    2. How can I fix the problems?

    Thank you for you kind assistance.

    Iwan Setiyono Ko - Norway
    Email: [email protected] (iwan dot setiyono at gmail dot com) or
    [email protected] (isetiyono at hotmail dot com)

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resizegr

    Hi,

    Problem 1 is a know problem.

    A work around is to add additional characters to the end of the text.
    Try using the non-breaking space character. To enter this type ALT+0160
    using the numeric keypad.

    Problem 2 is not really a new problem as you have never be able to
    resize chart titles. You can not resize chart title texts, even if the
    text appears to have the usual resizing box around it when selected. If
    you really need to resize a title you will need to use an embedded
    textbox. To add the textbox select the chart and press enter.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Iwan Setiyono Ko
    Guest

    Re: I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resize...

    Thanks Andy, it helps. Regarding problem 2, in my opinion, we can resize the
    title by enlarging the text font (from 12 to 16, for instance) but the thing
    is that I do remember when I worked with excell (I do not remember which
    version; probably prior to 2000-version) I could resize the boxes of the axis
    titles (X and Y axis) and even with the chart title by simply placing the
    cursor, click, and resize (dragging).

    Ko, Iwan

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resize...

    Hi,

    Enlarging the font will indeed resize the title box but only to the size
    needed to hold the text. You can not and never have been able to make
    the box bigger by dragging the sizing handles. Move but not size.

    If you think you can I would suggest that it was an embedded textbox and
    not one of the built-in chart titles.

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    MK
    Guest

    RE: I could NOT resize the axis title but excel allows me to resize gr

    Unfortunately, my 16:9 format Dell Inspiron 9300 has the same problem.
    Additionally the ALT-0160 doesn't work, even with Num Lock activated.
    Changing the Display settings is lame.

    My work around is simply to add any character I want, usually three
    underscores, then go back in and highlight just the underscore characters.
    Then right click to get the text font properties box and then change the Font
    color for the underscores from Automatic to White.

    The added white characters get truncated and the text I want to see, is now
    visible and prints.

    -- MK