XY Scatter doesn't display correctly when data has numbers&empty c

  1. #1
    cacpanama
    Guest

    XY Scatter doesn't display correctly when data has numbers&empty c

    The source data is in columns A (for Y values) and B (for X values). Say A1
    through A10 have {6.53, 6.41, 5.89, empty cell, empty cell, empty cell,
    empty cell, 6.74, 7.00, 6.50} and B1 through B10 have {7.19, 6.92, 6.74,
    6.17, 6.34, 6.57, 6.47, 6.88, 7.12, 6.76}. NOTE that the empty cells result
    from an IF statement that if something happens the cell = "". When plotted
    as XY Scatter, the chart does not handle properly the empty cells. It
    actually becomes like a Line plot, where the X axis is categorical instead of
    numerical. I have to CLEAR ALL each of the empty cells so the XY Scatter
    works. THe problem is I have thousands of data points and the empty cells
    occur randomly throughout the series. Any advice?

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter doesn't display correctly when data has numbers&empty c

    Missing data charting is a frequent user group post.

    The key point that I had to learn is that Excel lets you choose how to plot
    empty cells: zeros, not plotted or interpolated. Great if a cell is really
    empty. For pure data cells, you can select how you want empty cells to be
    plotted and you are set.

    The problem crops up when you want to plot calculated cells. Your If ""
    workaround is a good start, however, Excel sees a formula in your cell so
    that to Excel it is not empty, it has a formula in it. it tries to plot your
    formula cell, and the best it can do is a 0.

    The workaround for calculated cells is to adjust your If formula to
    something like:

    = If( d2 = "", NA(), b2*d2)

    You'll need to replace your actual cell references and formula.

    This formula will place a #N/A in those cells that can not be calculated
    because of your missing data. Excel recognizes #N/A cells in charting and
    ignores them.

    I have a tutorial and sample file on this that may be helpful.

    http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_missing_data.htm

    ....Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    cacpanama
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter doesn't display correctly when data has numbers&emp

    Many thanks! Problem solved.