Pin a callout data point

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Pin a callout data point

    Posted this on 'Excel' by mistake -

    I have a callout box on a rather complicated graph. It really only has
    value if it always points to the data point to which it refers. If I move
    the end of the pointer over the data point, it looks exactly as I want it
    to. However of I move the graph on the screen, look at it in Print Preview,
    or worse, print it, the data point is liable to be anywhere.

    Is there a way to pin the pointer to a particular data point so it will stay
    there??

    Thx
    Dave

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pin a callout data point

    Dave -

    You cannot lock an autoshape to a particular point in a chart. You can use a
    data label on the point, with a custom label, but if you insert or remove
    points before this one (i.e., change the starting point of the series), the
    label will also not stay attached to the right point. You can format a
    single point differently to help draw attention to it (a different marker
    shape or color, or even a custom shape), but again this moves if you insert
    or remove points.

    You could add another series, with just a single point, and format this one
    with the label or custom marker you want, and it won't have the same issue
    as above if the number of points changes.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Pin a callout data point

    Thank you Jon - that got it.

    Went with the single point series. Worked great, looks good.
    Really appreciate your suggestions.

    Thx again,
    Dave

    news:O%[email protected]...