Accumulative Chart?

  1. #1

    Accumulative Chart?

    This is a bit tricky to explain but here goes.

    I play poker and keep a record of my position (1st-9th) for each Tournament in excel. eg

    Date-----Game-----Position-----Prize-----Balance-----etc.-----etc.
    1st Jan---$10---------2---------$30------$130
    3rd Jan---$10---------1---------$50------$180
    10th Jan--$10---------7----------$0------$170
    etc.
    etc.

    I would like to make a column chart showing the spread of my positions.
    With 1st through to 9th along the bottom and the number of times I have got that position up the side. (sorry, don't know my x's from my y's!)
    Hopefully then when I continue to enter my data for each new tournament the chart updates itself.
    Is this possible?

    PLEASE HELP!

    DH

  2. #2
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Accumulative Chart?

    Hi,

    Let's suppose that Column C contains your positions starting from Row 2.
    In some other column, say F2 to F10, enter the numbers 1, 2, ... 9.
    In G2, enter the following formula and hit ENTER.
    = COUNTIF($C$2:C10000,"="&F2)
    Click on G2, move the cursor to the bottom right corner of G2 (the cursor
    will turn into a "+" symbol) and doublt-click the left-button.

    Columns F and G respectively show the positions (1 thru 9) and the number of
    times those positions are achieved.

    Make a Column Chart with G2:G10 (Values) versus F2:F10 (Category X-axis
    Labels).

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  3. #3
    Thanks B.R.

    Works a treat. I think I even understand the code, which is suprising.

    DH

  4. #4
    Lon
    Guest

    Re: Accumulative Chart?

    Thanks for the formula. It works perfectly.

    I see that I'm now at the stage where I have to learn more about Excel's
    capabilities -- more, that is, than simply creating spreadsheets with simple
    formulas. It's on my "to do" list.

    In the meantime, though, I'm very curious to know what your formula "means."
    It seems to say something like: "Count the number of times that the entries
    in Column C are equal to (or the same as) . . . " something about F2, but I
    can't tell what.

    Could I ask you, please, to "translate" the formula into English?

    And is there any book in particular that you would recommend to learn this
    kind of thing about Excel?

    Thanks,

    -Lon

    "B. R.Ramachandran" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: Accumulative Chart?

    Lon wrote on Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:52:14 GMT:

    L> And is there any book in particular that you would recommend
    L> to learn this kind of thing about Excel?

    L> Thanks,

    John Walkenbach is usually a very good source of information. I
    use his "Excel 2002 Formulas" a lot and this Amazon listing
    looks worth investigating.

    John Walkenbach's Favorite Excel Tips & Tricks (Paperback)
    by John Walkenbach

    List Price: $39.99
    Price: $25.19 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver
    Shipping. Details
    You

    James Silverton.