Matching the colors Column Charts and Pie Charts

  1. #1
    New York

    Matching the colors Column Charts and Pie Charts

    I have a file that contains three graphs. Two pie chats, one charting revenues and the other charting expenses, showing the contribution from each division of a department. At the top of the page i have a column chart graphing revenues and expenses together. The source data for all three charts is coming from the same data. I am trying to find a way to create a column chart that will use a different color for each division, like the pie chart does, instead of one color for revenues and one for expenses.
    Is this Possible?

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Matching the colors Column Charts and Pie Charts

    Hi,
    Right-click one of the columns to select the series and select Format Data
    Series. Choose the Options tab (most right one in my Excel version) where u
    can tick "Vary colors by point". The order in which the colours appear is
    similar to the order in your pie chart.
    GL,
    Henk

  3. #3
    New York

    vary colors by point disabled

    I tried what you suggested however the vary colors by point option has been diabled. Do you know why that may be?

  4. #4
    HEK
    Guest

    Re: Matching the colors Column Charts and Pie Charts

    Hi:
    Sorry to put you on the wrong foot! I didn't realise you have two series in
    your chart. The option 'Vary color by point' only is available when you have
    one series. Having two or more columns side-by-side in your chart, the only
    thing I cld think of is to vary the colours of the columns by hand. Slowly
    double-click the colomn you want to change (if you click too fast it will not
    work). When the individual column is selected (see the handles shown as
    black-filled squares around it), right-click and choose Format Data Point
    from the pop-up menu. Select the Pattern tab. You can now choose the colour
    you want (Area and/or Line of the column) for the selected column. Hint: the
    colours below the thin line are the ones Excel select when using colours in
    charts. By picking them from left to right for your data your colours will
    be consistent with your other charts. (The first row is for fills; the second
    one is used for lines).

    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Henk