Default Series format

  1. #1
    Al Camp
    Guest

    Is there any way I can force a chart (scatter in this case) to always use a "3pt black
    dot" for all series that "may" develop.
    My graph works fine, but every once in a while there are more series plotted than I have
    previously "manually" formatted. Those new series appear as a variety of shapes and
    colors.
    I'd like to make the graph "always use a 3pt black dot for ANY series."

    Tried a Google Group search, but wasn't sure what terminology to use ("excel" "default"
    "series"), so I didn't get any relevant hits.

    Thanks for any assistance,

    Al Camp

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Default Series format

    Hi Al:
    You can format your chart in any way you like and store this as custom
    chart. When you later choose this CustomChart with your data it will reflect
    the appearance you defined. Make your chart, right click a series and choose
    Chart Type... from the pop-up menu. Select the Custom Types tab, and select
    User-defined in the "Select from" area. Choose a descriptive name and save,
    and your format settings are ready for re-use.
    Good luck,
    Henk

  3. #3
    Al Camp
    Guest

    Re: Default Series format

    Henk,
    Thanks for the reply...
    So I take it that I must "manually" format all the series on one chart with 3pt black
    dot, and THEN... I can use that as a formatting default for other charts?

    Thanks,
    Al Camp

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    HEK
    Guest

    Re: Default Series format

    Yes, that's the idea, Al. I haven't tested this at length, and I am not an
    expert just a user myself. On quick testing with a line chart I found that
    if you have more series than the ones defined in your custom-built, these
    series will get the default format (5 point markers, the colours Excel uses,
    etc). Less doesnt seem to be a problem. I suggest just to try it out and
    see whether this suits you.
    GL, Henk

  5. #5
    Al Camp
    Guest

    Re: Default Series format

    OK Hek,
    That's what I needed to know. I had to manually format 52 series because I couldn't
    see any other way to do it...
    A pain... but it's done now.
    Thanks very much,

  6. #6
    HEK
    Guest

    Re: Default Series format

    Al, I didn't realise it was in a one time chart....I got the impression you
    had to make a similar looking chart every month or so and do all the
    formatting again.
    I feel bad now that I didn't mention the <Ctrl+Y> trick. You can modify a
    series format, select the next series and then pressing Y while keeping the
    Ctrl button pressed repeats the last command (i.e. the formatting changes)
    for the next series. This works btw on the Office level - the reverse is
    Ctrl-Z which undo the last command. I thought this was commonly known so I
    didnt think that this was what you were looking for.

  7. #7
    HEK

  8. #8
    HEK

  9. #9
    Al Camp
    Guest

    Re: Default Series format

    Thanks Hek,
    I'll give that a try.
    I should have mentioned, that my chart is actually in an Access 97 database
    application, so it's probably using MSGraph 97. So... there's no spreadsheet behind the
    graph, but rather a data query.
    The two charts are on a report, and I've got them all set up OK right now.
    Thanks a lot for the help.
    If you ever have an Access question, let me know... I'll try to return the favor.
    --
    Al Camp
    Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH