Data Analysis Plus

  1. #1
    Niyanta
    Guest

    Data Analysis Plus

    Hi,

    I came accross the Data Analysis Plus Add in, and more specifically the
    feature of generating box plots with the add-in.
    Would someone be able to confirm with me if the add in allows the box plots
    to be generated automatically when the range of cells is entered?

    If that is not possible, then would one be able to briefly explain to me how
    you would write a macro to automate creating a box plot.

    Regards

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    Niyanta:

    Here's a link to a workbook I use that has two types of box plots: data by
    groups and data by dates.

    You can replace the demo data with your own data and the box plots will be
    updated. You can also change the chart titles and axis titles to meet your
    needs.

    While the charts use standard Excel features, not VBA, they may meet your
    needs.

    http://processtrends.com/Files/box_plot_trend.zip

    Here are four additional links to Box & Whisker references.

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...tml#BoxWhisker
    http://www.lacher.com/examples/lacher31.htm

    ...Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niyanta
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    Thanks Kelly!

    However, I do need to utilise VBA, as I am assigned to "automate" the
    creation of boxplots.
    I will let you know if and when i am successful.

    Niyanta

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    Automation does not equal VBA.

    For charts that adjust to new data w/o code see
    Dynamic Charts
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    Niyanta
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    By automation, I was referring to writing a macro that would calculate the
    percentiles, etc, and create the box plots, hence elimination the manual work
    of doing so.

    I apologize for the confusion and misunderstanding.

  6. #6
    Niyanta
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    Hi Kelly,

    Would you be able to explain to me how to create the table in which the demo
    data is stored?

  7. #7
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Data Analysis Plus

    Niyanta:

    The data tables use dynamic ranges so that they will automatically expand if
    you add more raw data.

    To see the dynamic range name formulas, Go to Insert > Name > Define then
    select the range name. They all use a simple offset formula.

    To see how I calculated the box plot factors, just place your cursor on cell
    and you can see the formulas that I used.

    Let me know if you have specific questions.