How do I hide part of a data series in a chart?

  1. #1
    Jeff Bremer
    Guest

    How do I hide part of a data series in a chart?

    We have a chart with 2 data series - Budget & Actual. We want to show all 12
    months of the budget, but only the year-to-date months of the actual. The
    problem is the data cells for the future actual amounts have formulas in them
    so the chart use the result and plots the line. We do not want to delete the
    data (which will require manual input each month, we just want the actual
    data series line to not show for the future periods. We tried using IF
    statements with 0, "", " " and an alpha character, but these have not worked.
    --
    Jeff

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How do I hide part of a data series in a chart?

    Hi Jeff:
    You can set up your actual data as a dynamic named range series, using the
    OFFSET function. Many MVPs give tutorials how to do this on their websites,
    see for instance:
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/e...ps.htm#Dynamic
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames02.html