Line-Column 2 axes Help

  1. #1
    kp
    Guest

    Line-Column 2 axes Help

    I can't seem to set up a line/column graph and format it correctly. I have
    over 10 series of elevation data and corresponding dates from one worksheet,
    and precipitation data and corresponding dates from another worksheet.

    I have the the elevation series plotted to the 2nd x axis (date) and the
    precipitation series plotted to the 1st x asis (date). Precip data on the
    left y axis and Elevation data on the right y axis.

    Ideally, what I want is line graphs for the elevation data and bar chart for
    the precip data. I can either get ALL the data to be line graph data, or one
    of my elevation series as bar chart. I can't seem to change this regardless
    of the various chart or formatting options I choose.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Line-Column 2 axes Help

    The best way to get the combination chart you want is to avoid the built-in
    ones and make your own. Make a chart using all your data, using the chart
    type that will be used by most of the series. Select a series to change, and
    select a different chart type from Chart menu > Chart Type. Repeat as needed
    with other series (the F4 function key shortcut for Repeat Last Action works
    here). Then double click a series to put onto the secondary axis, and on the
    Axis tab, select Secondary. F4 works to repeat this on the next series too.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services