Define chart range using indirect reference

  1. #1
    Thomas
    Guest

    Define chart range using indirect reference

    Hi,

    I have an issue I doubt there is a solution for so hold on now.
    I have a sheet with a number of dynamically defined data series that I
    plot in a chart. Now I want to be able to multiply this sheet to use up
    to 20 similar sheets in the same workbook. The thing is that I want the
    references in the charts on each sheet to refer to corresponding sheet
    and not to the original one. I have found a way to use the indirect
    fomula combined with a VBA script to automatically define named ranges
    for the series on each page. The only thing missing is to make the
    charts plot these named ranges based on a similar approach using the
    indirect formula (and thereby refering to the correct range names
    defined in celles in each sheet). The chart series field does however
    not accept the indirect formula as input.

    Would really appreciate if anyone had a solution or workaround for
    this!

    Regards//Thomas

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Define chart range using indirect reference

    Hi Thomas,

    Usually, the workaround is to use indirect addressing - the worksheet
    functions INDIRECT(ADRESS...)) as formulas in a worksheet range. Then
    chart the worksheet range - which does not change.

    If you want to use VBA to change chart ranges, I find it best to set
    a range variable and use a statement like,
    Chart.SeriesCollection(i).Values = myRange

    There is an example at http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx
    look at 'Chart Selector'

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com

  3. #3
    Thomas
    Guest

    Re: Define chart range using indirect reference

    Thanks for your answer but I am not quite sure it does what I need. The
    ultimate solution for me would probably be if I could define the series
    in the chart in a way so that they refer to the locally defined name
    for the worksheet in question. When I copy the original sheet with the
    defined names the defined names will turn into locally defined names
    only valid for the copied sheet. The problem is that the chart on the
    new sheet does not refer to these defined ranges - it refers to the
    original defined ranges on the original sheet. Do you know if there is
    a way to specify the series so they always refer to the local names for
    the corresponding sheet?

    Great wbsite you have but I didn't really find a solution for this in
    there either.

    Thanks for any help you have!

  4. #4
    HEK
    Guest

    Re: Define chart range using indirect reference

    Thomas:
    A while ago I had a couple of sheets to copy into another workbook with a
    named range name that already existed (which I didnt realise). I remember
    Excel popped up asking whether I would like to use the name already in the
    destination sheet or to choose a new one (keeping the definition range in the
    source sheet). If I remember this correctly, this might be the work around
    you are looking for: you could try to copy the sheet to a new Book and copy
    it back to the old one. Come to think of it a bit further, I believe it
    requires that the sheet B to be copied back into sheet A should not contain
    any links to sheet A, otherwise Excel is too smart and use these links (which
    u don't want). Not sure whether it works in your case (your sheets may be
    too complex) but possibly worth a try (Pls be careful to test it with an old
    version of your sheet, just in case). Hope it solves yr problem.
    Vbr,
    Henk