Line x=0

  1. #1
    Joe Gabba
    Guest

    Line x=0

    Hello,

    How do I create a line through x=0 in a XY Scatterplot chart? I can plot
    (x, y) and y=0 but not x=0. I am graphing linear inequalities and
    identifying the feasible region for a mathmatics class.

    Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Line x=0

    Hi,

    Sure that's not a Line graph (category X axis) instead of a XY scatter
    (Value X axis)?

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Joe Gabba
    Guest

    Re: Line x=0

    No, I used the XY scatter with data points connected by smoothed lines. I
    did try with a line graph, but still can't figure out how to get a verticle
    line representing x=0. My data points are below. y3 is y=0.

    x y1 y2 y3
    -10 9.5 29 0
    10 -0.5 -11 0

  4. #4
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Line x=0

    Joe -

    With the data arranged the way you have it on the worksheet, Excel
    unfortunately assumes (when there are only two points) the data series are
    in rows. But yours are in columns.

    So, with some object of the chart selected, from the main menu choose Chart
    | Source Data. On the Data Range tab, select Series in: Columns.

    If that choice doesn't fix everything, use the Series tab to rearrange
    existing X and Y values for a series, or add the other series.

    Separate topic: I don't understand why you are using "smoothed lines." For
    your example, with only two points, only a straight line is possible.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Line x=0

    Confused.
    A line with the coord pair of (-10,0)(10,0) will give you a horizontal line.
    If you want a vertical line you will need a data set more like (0,-10)(0,10)

    If you meant horizontal then as Mike pointed out your layout of data and
    heading is being misread by the chart wizard.
    Assuming data in range A1:D3 just select the values, B1:D3 and plot the
    data in Columns. You will then get 3 lines of 2 points with the y3
    series running along the X axis.

    Cheers
    Andy