xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

  1. #1
    mark
    Guest

    xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

    I want to plot similar values in the x and y directions and I want the axis
    to be the same scale. If it were a map. I would want the map to be the same
    scale in both the x and y directions. I could then measure angles or
    distances on the graph correctly.

    The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale on the x and y
    axis independantly and then automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit
    the page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    Otherwise, I need to use another program or autocad to plot my values.

  2. #2
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

    mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:

    m> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale
    m> on the x and y axis independently and then automatically
    m> stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the page. the result is
    m> that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    But you can make the units of x and y the same and make the
    chart area square by clicking on it and moving the markers. I
    don't know how to do this automatically but I can do it
    satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could hold a ruler to
    the monitor to make it more exact.

    James Silverton.

  3. #3
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the graph,
    but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "James Silverton" wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:
    >>
    >> m> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale
    >> m> on the x and y axis independently and then automatically
    >> m> stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the page. the result is
    >> m> that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    >> But you can make the units of x and y the same and make the
    >> chart area square by clicking on it and moving the markers. I
    >> don't know how to do this automatically but I can do it
    >> satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could hold a ruler to
    >> the monitor to make it more exact.

    >I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the
    >graph,
    > but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

    One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the shift key) to daw a
    square, then adjust the scaling of the chart (or stretch it) to match the
    gridlines to the square.
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    David wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 22:10:35 +0100:

    ??>> "James Silverton" wrote:
    ??>>
    ??>>> mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:
    ??>>>
    m>>>> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the
    m>>>> scale on the x and y axis independently and then
    m>>>> automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the
    m>>>> page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in
    m>>>> both directions.

    ??>>> But you can make the units of x and y the same and make
    ??>>> the chart area square by clicking on it and moving the
    ??>>> markers. I don't know how to do this automatically but I
    ??>>> can do it satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could
    ??>>> hold a ruler to the monitor to make it more exact.

    ??>> I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of
    ??>> stretching the graph, but to get it correct, you do end up
    ??>> printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

    DB> One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the
    DB> shift key) to daw a square, then adjust the scaling of the
    DB> chart (or stretch it) to match the gridlines to the square.

    That is a bit "tricky" but I just tried it and it can be done
    tho' you have to remember to set the scale height and width the
    same (probably 100%) when drawing the square if you want it to
    print correctly. I don't know if I could meet the criteria of
    exactness that the OP wants :-)

    James Silverton.

  6. #6
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    I would like it to be exact, however, I do appreciate this suggestion. It
    kind of boggles me that you can't just "lock the aspect ratio" of your graph,
    however, you can to draw a square.

  7. #7
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    Another problem I found is that even when you scale it to a square, the
    default printing scheme will stretch to the page. To overcome this I had to
    go to print preview-setup-chart- and select "scale to page" instead of "fit
    to page".

    It seems silly that excel has many formulas, is routinely used to solve
    equations, yet can't make the scale on two axes equal. Where is the
    "engineer" in "computer engineer"?
    -mark

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    You can nail it down more precisely using VBA. The problem is that changes
    to the axis labels change the size of the interior plotting rectangle, so
    you'd have to run the macro iteratively. There are some examples on my web
    site:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  9. #9
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    Jon,

    I have never tried using VBA so this will be a first. I am amazed at how
    complicated something seemingly simple is in this case.

    Thank you.

  10. #10
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    Well, since the software was designed by people that don't actually use it
    in combat, it probably works differently in some ways than we'd like. The
    plot outside area (encompassing the axes etc.) keeps its shape pretty well,
    but that's not the dimension that people care about.

    - Jon
    -------