what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?

  1. #1
    maggie
    Guest

    what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?

    I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is
    1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to reflect
    100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above the
    900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000 indicator.
    With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should coincide
    with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't look
    like an idiot in my presentations??

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?

    "maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is
    > 1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to
    > reflect
    > 100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above
    > the
    > 900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000
    > indicator.
    > With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should
    > coincide
    > with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't
    > look
    > like an idiot in my presentations??

    If you really do mean a bar graph, not a column graph, the left axis is the
    category labels, not the values of the data.

    Otherwise, I would suggest that you look carefully at the Source Data for
    your series to check exactly what you are plotting.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?

    Use a 2-D chart, instead of one with a 3-D effect, and you should get
    better results.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures