Excell 2007????

  1. #1
    Gklass
    Guest

    Excell 2007????

    Has anyone any insight on changes to the charting options in Excel 2007?

    What I have found emphasizes integrating the excel charting with word
    and powerpoint and fancy chart themes.

    But there's nothing on any new chart types, like boxplots
    or things like scatterplot data labels.

    I know we can download the beta, but I'm afraid of what it might do to
    my existing version of office..

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Gary:

    Here's an article by Stephen Few on Excel 12.

    http://www.b-eye-network.com/view/2818

    Stephen's point is that Microsoft has missed a big opportunity.

    Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    No new chart types, no new chart features. Lots of new formatting. Hopefully
    the usual workarounds will still work.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gklass
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Kelly O'Day wrote:

    Thanks Kelly. I was afraid this would happen.

    As I read your message I had Few's "Show me the Numbers" open on my
    desk. It's very good.

  5. #5
    Gklass
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Jon
    I am disappointed but not surprised. I had hoped that the new version
    would have included some simple additions like:
    a) data labels functionality
    b) boxplots
    c) and option for thicker lines in line charts (this, I know, is
    "fluff", but it would be nice for power point charts)
    d) better display of log scales
    e) breaks in the Y-axis

    If they could have just addressed the issues that repeatedly come up on
    this forum.
    How often do people post messages here asking: How can I create really
    shiny metallic bars in my bar charts?

  6. #6
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    On Sat, 27 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Gklass <[email protected]> said:

    >I am disappointed but not surprised. I had hoped that the new version
    >would have included some simple additions like:
    >a) data labels functionality
    >b) boxplots
    >c) and option for thicker lines in line charts (this, I know, is
    >"fluff", but it would be nice for power point charts)

    I would like more choice of line thickness as well, to be able to select
    *thinner* lines. I've been using the lines on the error bars more
    lately, just to be able to get a really hair-thin line to mark my data
    with.

    I would have liked to see some kinds of fluff also, particularly a
    larger palette of line chart symbols. Triangles that point left, right
    or down instead of just up, a thinner horizontal line, a vertical line
    to match the horizontal one, and so forth.

    Proper integration of Autoshapes into the data series would go a long
    way toward that, if they could be made formattable from inside the
    Format Data Series dialogue just as the regular suite of symbols is, and
    be stable when imported into PowerPoint, Word, and other applications,
    instead of moving off the point.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  7. #7
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Hi,

    You can download 'Format Chart Lines' from
    http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx to have greater control over line
    thickness. Not built-in of course, and it does not work with Excel 2007 (at
    least in beta)...

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com

  8. #8
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    On Sun, 28 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Ed Ferrero <[email protected]> said:

    >You can download 'Format Chart Lines' from
    >http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx to have greater control over line
    >thickness. Not built-in of course, and it does not work with Excel 2007 (at
    >least in beta)...

    Thank you, but my particular charting need is for precise
    high-resolution placement of data elements. By using drawing objects,
    your macro suffers from the problem I have with every solution to
    Excel's weaknesses that uses drawing objects: they don't line up
    precisely with the chart itself, especially not when exported out to
    another application.

    For very thick lines and very simple graphs, it's great.

  9. #9
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Hi Del,

    I have modified the sample 'Format Chart Lines' at
    http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx so that it plots circles of diameter
    equal to the line thickness at the ends of each line. This has the effect of
    smoothing out the jagged corners where two lines meet. Still not perfect,
    but it might suit your needs.

    When exporting to another application (e.g. PowerPoint), I have more success
    building a chart in Excel that is close to the size I need, then copying as
    a picture to the target app.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com

  10. #10
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    On Mon, 29 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Ed Ferrero <[email protected]> said:

    >I have modified the sample 'Format Chart Lines' at
    >http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx so that it plots circles of diameter
    >equal to the line thickness at the ends of each line. This has the effect of
    >smoothing out the jagged corners where two lines meet. Still not perfect,
    >but it might suit your needs.

    Thanks, I see when I thinned the lines down to zero and brought the
    Excel markers back that they now pass closer to the centre of the marker
    than they did before.

    >When exporting to another application (e.g. PowerPoint), I have more success
    >building a chart in Excel that is close to the size I need, then copying as
    >a picture to the target app.

    Yes, I found it was better when I used a size that was either an exact
    multiple of the final size, or the exact size. But it still freaked me
    out when I found out that drawing objects weren't staying where I put
    them. I had hoped to create little bit maps or Autoshapes of triangles,
    arrows, and vertical and horizontal lines, to expand the repertoire of
    point markers available in Excel, but I wasn't confident that the
    results I got would not give the wrong values if I tried to use them to
    show scatter data.

    For really fine lines that go exactly where they're needed, I find I
    can't beat the ubiqitous error bar. This is an example of my using them
    to create an Edward Tufte style "dot dash plot":

    http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/scienc...-dash-demo.xls

    This is something I was discussing a while back with Jon Peltier, and I
    eventually implemented it using his and Tushar Mehta's tutorials on
    dummy ranges for axes for inspiration.

    (*This* is the sort of thing I would like to see in a new version of
    Excel, not metallic surface effects)

  11. #11
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Gary -

    Guess which of these you get? (Hint: you've already called it "fluff").

    And I think you really meant "really shiny metallic bars with gradient 3D
    fills and blended shadows".

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services

  12. #12
    Tony Greenfield
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    Previous versions of Excel had a Data Maps feature.
    It provided a map of a country, region, continent or the world and linked
    it to a data table so that the countries were filled with colours relating to
    the data.
    For example: rainfall.

    Where is this in Office 2007 ???

  13. #13
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Excell 2007????

    "Tony Greenfield" <Tony [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Previous versions of Excel had a Data Maps feature.
    > It provided a map of a country, region, continent or the world and linked
    > it to a data table so that the countries were filled with colours relating
    > the data.
    > For example: rainfall.
    >
    > Where is this in Office 2007 ???

    Disappeared at Excel 2002?