Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data

  1. #1

    Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data

    Hi All

    I am trying to create a dynamic pie chart (has to be a pie chart) that can automatically take into account the fact that the number of series to be graphed each time changes, and that there may be missing data within the list of data

    The 'Plot Empty Cell' section under Tools -> Options does not seem to apply to Pie Charts as I cannot select any of the options here

    I have tried using the formula =OFFSET('Sheet1'!$B$7,1,0,COUNTA('Sheet1'!$B:$B)-1,1) in the named range for the data called Spend, and =OFFSET(Spend,0,-1) in the corresponding data labels, but I this still graphs areas where there are missing cells

    Does anyone have any suggestions how to achieve this

    Thanks

    Karen

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data

    Hi,

    Here is an example that does not plot missing data.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/piezeros.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Hi Andy

    Thanks for that - works great

    Karen
    Last edited by ksp; 05-30-2006 at 12:26 AM.

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data

    I just downloaded and test the workbook and it functions for me.
    Zero items are removed from pie, data labels and legend.

    To get rid of zero data labels use a custom number format (whole values
    only)
    0;;;

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    I have to confess I was guilty of not reading the instructions properly - something I give my users a hard time for

    Thanks for your help this is going to save one of my users days worth of work

    Ta

    KP

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Pie Charting with Missing and Changing Data

    No problem glad it helped and thanks for your honesty

    Cheers
    Andy