Scatter chart with text labels as Y axis?

  1. #1
    Charles Blaquière
    Guest

    Scatter chart with text labels as Y axis?

    I have a series of worksheets, each representing tournament scores on a
    particular pinball machine. Each sheet looks like this:

    Player Score LoTR
    Me 3,000,000
    Her 2,000,000
    You 1,000,000

    Player names in column A, scores in column B, and the name of that machine
    in cell C1.

    I want to create a scatter chart like this:

    LoTR | * * *

    AFM | * **

    ST | * * *
    +---------------------------------------
    0 1 2 3 4

    Where each player score shows up as a data point on the scatter chart, with
    scores running along the X axis and (here's the kicker) the text label on
    the Y axis. This will enable people to visually ascertain the range and
    distribution of scores for each machine.

    I'm having trouble setting up the chart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    SiC
    Guest

    RE: Scatter chart with text labels as Y axis?

    There's a lengthy to simulate what you were describing, even though it's not
    exactly the same. It's worth a try though:
    1. Fill LoTR column with value 3, AFM column with 2, ST column with 1
    2. Chart Score column (from LoTR sheet) and LoTR column in a scatter
    charter, with Score as X values and LoTR as Y values, LoTR column header as
    series name
    3. Copy Score column (from AFM sheet) and AFM column, paste special into
    existing chart as new series, AFM column header as series name
    4. Repeat step 3 with ST sheet data
    5. Remove Y-axis label
    6. Move legend to the left, this will act as the Y axis label
    7. Stretch and move legend so each series name in legend lines up with data
    on the chart.

    You can do whatever else formatting on the chart to make it look better. If
    there are more than 3 sheets of game data, I think you get the idea of how
    this works. Good luck.

    -Simon

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Scatter chart with text labels as Y axis?

    Check the example here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

    - Jon
    -------