Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

  1. #1
    ronbrosh111
    Guest

    Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    Hi,

    I'm trying to create a scatter chart and enter about 100 data series (a
    name, x value, y value for each). I could do it manually but I'm sure
    there's a more efficient way. Can you help?

    Thanks!

    Ron

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    Hi,

    Do you really need the points to be separate series?

    Perhaps you can create a xy scatter on the x and y data and then use of
    these free addin to link your data labels to the names.

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler
    http://appspro.com

    Or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools
    http://j-walk.com

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    ronbrosh111
    Guest

    Re: Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    Thanks for the response and advice.

    I actually inherited a file (at work), where a large amount of series were
    entered in at once, and been asked to replicate the feat. Is there an
    organic way to do so in Excel, or are the add-ins the only option?

    Thanks again!

    Ron

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    Maybe you could write your own code to update and or create the chart.

    What do you mean by 'organic way'?

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    I think he means built in, as opposed to programmatic.

    If you need programmatic techniques, this might be a good place to start:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...kChartVBA.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    ronbrosh111
    Guest

    Re: Create multiple data series for a chart in one shot...

    I ended up using the add-in you recommended. Turns out my predecessor
    entered 100 data series in manually!

    Thanks for the help!

    Ron