Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a value

  1. #1
    Peter Shore
    Guest

    Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a value

    Excel - 2003 or previous.
    Conditional formating on cells is useful but I would like to see this on
    graphs as well.
    For example in a bar graph chart the series colour can be set either
    automatically or manually. A single data point can be set manually to a
    different colour.
    I would like to change a data point bar by condition / comparing to a value.
    The application is to 'flag' a data point by colour change if the value
    exceeds a certain comparison value.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a value

    Conditional Charts:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peter Shore
    Guest

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a v

    Jon,
    I found your website and solution just minutes after posting my question. An
    ingenious workround! The problem is that this makes the data table quite
    complex. I would like to build in these formuales and then hide the cells but
    as soon as you hide data it is no longer available for charts!
    Another option would be to have the additional series and formulae in an
    area outside of the print area and then view in 'print preview'
    The table I have created is to be used by non excel experts so I have to
    keep it as simple to use as possible and lock or conceal any formula to
    prevent tampering!

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a v

    Welcome to my world.

    In general it's worth the effort to put your main data on a hidden
    worksheet, and have the chart and any table in the display area link to this
    data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peter Shore
    Guest

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a v

    Jon,
    Thank you for the help - I tried this last night and I have been able to
    produce the chart I need. I have also combined Bars with Lines so the
    threshold values that change the colour are displayed as a line across the
    chart. Net result is that as a bar graph value meets or exceeds one of the
    lines it changes colour.

    NB: Another trick I employed that you may find useful (or you may already
    know this) is to use a customised background on a bar graph to give me a
    coloured scale.
    eg from 0% to 80% green, from 80% to 90% amber and from 90% to 100% red.
    I started by setting rows and columns to the same size for square cells,
    filled 8 cells green, 1 amber and 1 red. copied and pasted this into 'paint'
    to create a bitmap. Then I used the format chart, background - picture and
    selected the bitmap I had just created. This scaled itself to the chart
    background and gave me a bar graph with green up to 80% etc.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a v

    You've seen my more flexible version, with stacked columns on the primary
    axis and a regular column or line series on the secondary. When I get a
    chance I'll post it as a web page.

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Qatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2016

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a value

    Dear Mr. Jon,

    I had read your post and it is quite useful for me. However Now I need to make a chart with two X axes values. I had followed your procedure, however I can observe some gaps between the bars. Is there any way to remove the gap...I had used the Overlap option but its not working....

    Herewith I had enclosed the screenshot for your reference.

    Thanks in Advance

    Regards
    R. Vadivelan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peltier View Post
    Conditional Charts:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    "Peter Shore" <Peter [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Excel - 2003 or previous.
    > Conditional formating on cells is useful but I would like to see this on
    > graphs as well.
    > For example in a bar graph chart the series colour can be set either
    > automatically or manually. A single data point can be set manually to a
    > different colour.
    > I would like to change a data point bar by condition / comparing to a
    > value.
    > The application is to 'flag' a data point by colour change if the value
    > exceeds a certain comparison value.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Excel - conditional formating on graphs. Change colour on a value

    Velu,

    Unfortunately you need to post your question in a new thread, it's against the forum rules to post a question in the thread of another user. If you create your own thread, any advice will be tailored to your situation so you should include a description of what you've done and are trying to do. Also, if you feel that this thread is particularly relevant to what you are trying to do, you can surely include a link to it in your new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]