Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth"

  1. #1
    Curious27
    Guest

    modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth"

    I would like to modify the "stacked area" plot type so that the lines
    connecting the data points do so in a "top-hat" or histogram style instead of
    a "saw-tooth" or point-to-point connection. The bar plots aren't quite right
    as the "bars" stand alone and have the vertical separators - instead of
    forming a contiguous area under the data points. Is this possible?

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth"

    You can remove the space between the bars simply by making the gap zero.
    Change to column chart, right click the series, Format Data Series / Options
    / Gap width> 0. You may have to fiddle a bit with the number of series to
    get the right desired effect.
    HTH,
    Henk

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth"

    You could use a column chart - they are frequently used in histograms.
    OR try a waterfall charts - details at:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/waterfall/
    http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel...ng-add-ins.htm
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Curious27
    Guest

    RE: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    Ok, sounds promising - but my "Options" page only has "Drop lines" as a
    modifiable feature, nothing about "Gap width". I'm using Excel 2003.

  5. #5
    Curious27
    Guest

    RE: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    Ah, I see - I needed to change the the chart type to "stacked column" first
    to get the "gap width" on the "options" tab. Ok - so now, is there a way to
    eliminate the lines that outline each column so each (stacked) series appears
    to be a contiguous area?
    C.

  6. #6
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    It shd also work with "normal" column chart. To make the lines disappear,
    right click the series, Format Data Series, go to the Patterns tab and either
    choose the same line colour as the fill, or select "none".
    GL,
    Henk

  7. #7
    Curious27
    Guest

    RE: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    Ah-ha - thanks! Ok, but I still don't have delineation between the "stacks".
    There isn't a way to just color the horizontal border, and not the vertical
    ones is there?
    C.

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    You could use an area chart:

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  9. #9
    Curious27
    Guest

    Re: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    Yes, that's where I started out - but I wanted the "histogram" or "top-hat"
    way of connecting the datapoints, not "point-to-point".

  10. #10
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: modifying the area plot to a "top-hat" instead of a "saw-tooth

    If you want a certain effect, sometimes you need to do it a different way
    than you'd intended.

    - Jon
    -------