Dynamic Stacked Column Chart Help

  1. #1

    Dynamic Stacked Column Chart Help

    I am trying to create a dynamic stacked column chart for some product based sales information. I have used some information that I found at

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...html#DynColCht

    to create dynamic named ranges for my data with the following formulas that I found for a dynamic column chart
    ChartData
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)
    ChartLabels
    OFFSET(ChartValues,0,-1)

    However my chart does not appear to be graphing all of the data so I suspect there is something wrong with how I am setting it up or that these formulas don;t liek the fact that I am trying to do a stacked column chart.

    My data looks like this

    National Data
    Product Total $ Area A $ Area B $ Area C $

    State A Data
    Product Total $ Area A $ Area B $ Area C $

    State B Data
    Product Total $ Area A $ Area B $ Area C $

    There can be up to approximately 50 products so I am leaving rows in the grid for the user to enter the additional products, and the stacked column needs to be of the 3 area’s to represent the total sales.

    At the moment I have only tried to graph the national data where Area A is in Column B, and the first product listed is in Row 7 (the data grid goes down to Row 61), using the following formula for the data called AreaAData
    =OFFSET('Sheet1'!$C$6,1,0,COUNTA('Sheet1'!$C$7:$C$61)-1,1)
    etc for all the Area's
    And this for the labels
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!AreaAData,0,-2)

    Parts of some of the series are being graphed and then inother instances it is being missed but I have no idea why.

    Doea anyone have any ideas or any websites that have info about dynamic stacked charts as I haven't found anything much in my searches so far

    Thanks in advance

    KSP

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Stacked Column Chart Help

    The series in a stacked chart must have exactly the same X values. Your
    State A and State B data will not line up properly.

    You could probably make this easier if you set up the data as input for a
    pivot table. one column for state, one for area, one for product, one for
    dollars. You'll get all the output nicely aligned, with blanks where
    appropriate.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks Jon

    I had been trying to solve this for the last few days and got it to work yesterday - this was one problem that I fixed the other was that I had blank cells for zero values instead of a zero which was causing problems

    Also wanted to say that your website has been a huge help to me with this project - thanks

    KSP