trendlines

  1. #1
    agmoore
    Guest

    trendlines

    I am fairly new at this. When plotting fairly simple XY scattergrams I have
    noticed that when y decreases at an increasing rate, the Power trendline
    Excel yields fits the data with a very high r-square. But when y decreases
    at a decreasing rate, the resulting trendline fits poorly and the r-square is
    low. How do I get the trendline (and resulting formula) to "invert" to
    better fit the data? Thanks.

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: trendlines

    I suspect you have checked that the trend line option "Set intercept" =0,
    forcing the trendline to go through (0,0). If so, uncheck, and even Excel
    will figure out a better fit. (Right click trend line, Format Trendline and
    go to Options).
    HTH,
    Henk