Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is updated?

  1. #1
    JasenD
    Guest

    Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is updated?

    My source data is in a list, and when I add data to the list, the chart
    automatically updates by adding the new data but all chart formatting is
    lost. I would like to know what I have to do to preserve the formatting of
    the chart when updating the data.

    I read similar questions in the forumns about losing formatting when working
    with Pivot Charts, and that this can be fixed with Macros. I am not very
    familar with Macros, and it seems like it would be more work than it is worth
    to preserve formatting in a normal chart.

    Is there an alternative method?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is updated?

    more detail about what you are doing and how you are doing it. Perhaps you
    need to use a defined name for your ranges that would be self adjusting.
    Take a look at insert>name>define>name it>in the refers to box type in
    =offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6) > in the source
    =yourworkname.xls!yourdefinedname

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JasenD
    Guest

    Re: Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is update

    Don,

    Thanks for replying. I am tracking prices of about 20 different commodities,
    and I have created a Data List so I can input more data in the future. After
    reading your reply, either I was not very clear about what list I am working
    with or you may have misunderstand what I meant by list. By using the
    insert>name>define>...., I know how you can creat a list and then use
    Validation for a cell so that list appears in a drop down box for the cell.

    What I am working with is the list under the Data menu (the list that allows
    you to sort data and expand the list via the * row). I have several charts
    link to this list, and when I add more data to the list, the charts update
    but all formatting is lost. Do you know how to preserve the formatting?

    I hope this clears up the misunderstanding, and thanks for helping.

    -JasenD

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is update

    If you like, send me a workbook along with a detailed explanation and a
    before and after example.